Why such a big deal with Candida all of a sudden? The problems with Candida are not that recent, it’s just that the medical world just realized that a lot of problems that were not explained before might have a common cause: a leaky gut. Candida, when becomes a pathogen, burrows into your intestinal lineage, and it thins it out. This will bring many health issues, and we deal with these issues by treating the symptoms. Treating the symptoms solves the problem temporarily, and locally. The cause however, is never treated, and it will slowly affect your body. It will surface later with random symptoms that apparently have no explanation. These conditions are now known as Candida Related Complex, and they are taken more seriously by the medical world, though in majority of cases the symptoms only are treated.
All Candida infections are caused by the same group of closely related yeast species. However, depending on where the Candida infection is found in the body and how it manifests itself, different terminology is used, including both common names and medical names. Below is a list of the most common terms you may encounter for Candida infections. Candida albicans is the most commonly diagnosed strain.
- Candidiasis: General term for any type of Candida infection.
- Vaginal Yeast Infection or Vulvovaginal Candidiasis: burning and itching on the vagina and labia.
- Male Candidiasis or Male Thrush: symptoms in men are mild compared to women but may cause itchiness, burning, and discharge.
- Thrush or Oropharyngeal Candidiasis: Candida infection in the mouth and or esophagus, often characterized by a white film on the tongue and or lesions on the inner cheek or tongue.
- Diaper Rash or Cradle Cap: A Candida infection of the skin is often the culprit in diaper rash or cradle cap.
- Candidemia: Candida infection of the bloodstream.
- Invasive Candidiasis: An advanced stage of candidemia where the Candida in the bloodstream penetrates organs like the brain, heart, bones, eyes, liver, and kidneys. This is a very serious condition that can cause death on multiple levels.
Candida Symptoms without a Name
The above conditions are easy to diagnose, hence a specific medical action can be devised. In
absence of the clear symptoms described above, a Candida overgrowth diagnosis is difficult. People
will suffer for years without knowing what their problem is. If you present the symptoms in the
following list, you might have a yeast overgrowth problem:
- Intense craving for sugar or carbohydrates, (microorganisms affect the brain to get what they want!)
- Low energy; easily tire out
- Eczema and other unexplained skin problems
- Allergies are a sign that you might have Candida. The range of symptoms is from food sensitivity to chemical reactions and constant abnormal rhinitis.
- Unexplained weight gain; difficulty losing weight; sudden weight loss
- Difficulty concentrating or staying on task, brain fog, (this is caused by toxins released by the yeast)
- Mood swings, depression, anxiety, easily stressed, difficulty coping, (some of the toxins released by pathogens affect your mental health)
- Gastrointestinal distress; stomach pains; excessive gas; bloating; irritable bowel syndrome (IBS); leaky gut syndrome
- Sinus issues; nasal drip; coughing up mucus; constantly clearing throat
- Joint pain; creaky bones; limited range of motion, (yeast creates inflammation in your body, because that helps it grow faster)
- Immune deficiency resulting in frequent infections, thrush or mouth sores, yeast infections, etc…
- Watery eyes; eye discharge
One of the major problems with Candida infections is the negative impact it has on your gut. The modern diet does not encourage gut healing and it doesn't contain the necessary nutrients to restore gut's health. Candida burrows into your gut lining and by doing this it increases its permeability even more. This permeability is the root cause of the above symptoms and conditions. Our guide will show you what are the most efficient natural ways to keep Candida in control.
Before wrapping up this chapter of the eBook, I will give you one tip in advance. We'll talk about this later in the book, but here is just one bit to help you understand better how yeast infections work. Healing your gut takes special nutrients. Our body can create these nutrients, but sometimes it just doesn’t create enough. L-glutamine is an amino acid that repairs your gut, and it keeps sugar cravings in control. Both sugar cravings and gut lining health are critical in your quest to eliminate Candida. To supplement with L glutamine eat bone broth, or take a supplement. A good supplement is here: L-Glutamine on Amazon. Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) is great for maintaining the lining of the stomach and duodenum. You can find a good quality DGL here. If you are affected by Candida, you most likely have digestion issues as well. Taking digestive enzymes will alleviate this problem, and it will discourage the proliferation of Candida by creating an inhospitable environment for it. The digestive enzymes from Now Foods are great, and at a fair price.
The next part of this series will help you make a plan to kill Candida, and help you find out if you are affected or not.